So why are we called Rivendell Carpets?
Well it’s from the hugely successful Lord of the Rings trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien which has also been made into a film featuring Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Orlando Bloom, Sean Bean and Viggo Mortensen.
Here goes… some Lord of the Rings/Hobbit trivia:
- Rivendell is an Elven outpost in Middle-earth.
- It was established and ruled by Elrond in the Second Age of Middle-earth, four or five thousand years before the events of The Lord of the Rings.
- Rivendell is a direct translation or calque of the Sindarin name Imladris, both meaning “deep valley of the cleft”.
- The appearance of the valley of Rivendell is based upon the Lauterbrunnental in Switzerland, where J. R. R. Tolkien supposedly hiked. Elrond’s house and the narrow bridge were based upon the area of Watersmeet Lodge in Devon, UK. Tolkien was also inspirited by the ruins of Mystras overlooking the plain of Sparta in southern Greece.
- Rivendell’s MD was read the Hobbit at primary school by Mrs Lake her English teacher when she was just 7 years old.
(All points were supplied by wikipedia click here for
Here is just a little quote for you from the book…
“…A perfect house, whether you like food or sleep, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Merely to be there was a cure of weariness, fear and sadness…..here you will hear many songs and tales, but, except on high days, it usually stands empty and quiet and people come here who wish for peace and thought……. Such was the virtue of the land of Rivendell that soon all fear and anxiety was lifted from their minds”
Most of the team at Rivendell Carpets in Bristol have read and loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The idea for the name was about wanting to make the Rivendell experience a safe place to choose your flooring.
We hope that you like the name too! I know a few have our customers have chosen us because of their love of the Lord of Rings and all that is Rivendell.
From an honorary hobbit.
P.s. We all very excited about the upcoming release of the new hobbit films.